The Role of The Board of Selectmen
As the executive branch of the Town government the Selectboard is responsible for policy decisions & carrying out most of the decisions of the Town made at Town Meeting. Additional responsibilities include:
- Approval of bills and payroll before they are paid by the Treasurer. Signatory authority for all notes, bond issues, abatements, and weekly town warrants which itemize all town department bills and payroll.
- Granting and issuing licenses and permits which include temporary one day liquor licenses; Class I and II auto licenses.
- Control of town property.
- Calling town meetings by the issuance of the Town Warrant.
- Awarding bids and contracts.
- Appointment of the Town Administrator, Highway Superintendent, Building Commissioner, Accountant, Building Maintenance Technician and Town Secretary.
- Appointing authority for the Conservation Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Council on Aging, Cultural Council, Historical Commission and most of the other Boards and Committees in town.
Click here BNCTV posts the meeting videos here.